Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

My Birthday is Not Just Another Day

Image result for photo of birthday cake with lots of candles



Two days ago I had a birthday and turned 58.
Thank you, thank you very much.

Some folks, when they get to a particular age or mind set, might say, "No big deal, it's just another day." I disagree. I believe birthdays should be recognized and celebrated. Some deserve BIG celebrations. I had one of those when I turned fifty, I still won't look at the video CD's made that night-apparently alcohol was served, and seventies rock music played. Maybe I'll peak at them when I turn ninety. Other mid-range birthdays, oh say like turning forty-three, will respond well to a dinner out, a bit of cake, a book of poems, or a big bundle of wildflowers.

But, I think all of them need to be appreciated in one way or another.  Think of the parental units. The majority of people on earth have had decent parents. Mine were. My mother struggled for the privilege of parenthood, miscarrying three times before I "stuck" as she would say. And although I cannot recall specifics, I believe they were thrilled when I was born on May 17, 1959. I did, after all, break their dry spell. Mom had five more youngsters after me.

Imagine how it might feel to them, if they were still alive, if I made this birthday announcement, "No big deal, just another day." A bit defeating towards their efforts, eh? If you are of a spiritual nature, this apathy towards one's birthday could be perceived as ungratefulness towards the Big Guy himself. I mean,come on, he does this miraculous thing, takes tiny microscopic DNA material and turns it into an entire human being and you're going to rain on that parade by announcing, "Birthday Smurfday, who cares?"

Even if your parents were of the wire hanger variety, or you are a card carrying member of  Eternal Skeptics of the Universe, imagine how those who care about you on an everyday basis: your spouse, your children, your self-involved boss, that snippy gal at the post office, would feel if you made one of your lethargic anti-birthday statements.

They would probably feel...sad. I know I do whenever I hear someone I love, express those thoughts.

I understand I am blessed. A husband, four children and their spouses, four grandkids, four siblings and a million gazillion Facebook followers, have made my birthdays feel anything but ordinary.  Yet, even if they were all gone and it was just me alone, I believe I would find some way, to be grateful to someone, about this amazing life I have been gifted with.

Two days ago I had a birthday and turned 58.
Thank you God. Thank you mom. Thank you dad.

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar