Kate Spade Nellie dress
Anthropologie belt
MBMJ bag and shoes
With and without nude pantyhose (c/o Hanes)

Yesterday I posted a photo that included sheer pantyhose by Hanes Hosiery. I didn't mention that I was wearing them because I was curious as to whether they'd go unnoticed. The other week, a representative from Hanes contacted me to ask if I would style an outfit with and without their nude sheers. I obliged because as longer-term readers know I suffer from acute tights dependency. In other words, come warm weather, I cling to my hosiery like glue. I fear the exposure. I want the coverage. And I hate lacking the buffer to prevent "chub rub." I envy those women who welcome bare legged season without hesitation. Bike shorts notwithstanding, I am not among them.

Although I never wear sheer or nude pantyhose, my opaque tights and fishnets are beloved. So I accepted the challenge from Hanes because it offered a potential middle ground. I also know that many professional women have to wear pantyhose as part of their office dress codes. So while I found it difficult to not associate a particular dated look with nude pantyhose, I realize that for plenty of career women of all ages, they are requisite.

I remember wearing nude hose in middle school. I remember wearing them in high school. I remember their ubiquity in the 80s and 90s. I also remember them feeling uncomfortable compared to tights. They squeezed more and they ripped more. But outside of the confines of stricter corporate dress codes, I can't recall seeing many women my age sporting sheer hose today. Terra of Stylish White Female (who also styled an outfit with and without) reminded me that Kate Middleton wears them often. Other than within conservative, professional contexts I don't see them being worn among my non-royal circle of similarly-aged peers.

Some thoughts: it is good that Hanes Hosiery Sheers come in full length or thigh high. Although I tried a pair of regular full length pantyhose, I think the thigh highs offer women who don't fear the exposure or the "chub rub" a useful alternative to feeling confined. The sheers really are quite sheer. So they offer some coverage while still allowing the leg to be seen. I did think they had a bit of a shimmer to them which some women might dislike. I imagine the intent was to mimic the shine of recently shaved and moisturized legs. I would follow their size chart accordingly and size up as recommended if you are on the cusp. The control top was definitely more confining and squeezy than my beloved tights. But they felt comfortable on the legs.