I thought I'd share a fast and easy way to make rustic bricks.
Ah, the mysteries of paper clay......I was very intimidated by all the lovely paper clay stone, bricks, and roofing I have seen. I saw Rik Pierce at the Seattle mini show and thought about asking for his autograph.....I bought his book Techniques by Rik Pierce long before I attempted any paper clay work.
First, tear off a hunk of the clay and then put the rest back in the package. Try to keep the unused clay sealed, as it will dry out. I usually get a piece that I can easily roll into a ball, maybe smaller than a tennis ball. I have a handy Dandy rolling surface that my husband made me. We went with what Rik Pierce suggested. It allows you to get a consistent thickness of about 1/8 inch. Rik sells them on his site, but you can use chop sticks as a guide. It is just so you get an even, consistent thickness.
This is my rolling board. I use my French pin to roll it out, but a piece of PVC pipe will do the job.
Once you have it rolled to 1/8inch thickness, you cut the clay to go onto the piece that will have bricks.
The bricks will go on the foundation sides of the porch
Cover the area with a nice coat of glue. I used Aileene's Tacky even though there is wood glue in the background
Add another piece to cover the entire side.
Now smooth the clay seam with something round. I used a round glue bottle. Next take a sharp blade and trim the side so it is nice and neat.
Now, the easy way to make bricks!
Check out this cool tool. It just happens to be a herb slicer. I bought it off of Amazon! It is almost the perfect spacing for bricks. The hardest part (for me) is driving straight. More on that later.......;)Now, take a flat tool and score your bricks in a pattern.
I used this tool, from a multi pack of clay tools, from a craft store.
Next I added texture with a stiff bristled brush.
Next I added texture with a stiff bristled brush.
Sally on her porch.



0 Yorumlar